Having a dry scalp causes the scalp to be itchy and one tends to scratch the head constantly. A dry scalp may indicate the presence of dandruff though in some cases it can be a serious medical condition. Dry scalp can be brought about by excessive use of chemical products that strips off the scalp of its natural moisture. Dry scalp home remedies can be used to rectify this but professional treatment should be sought out if the home remedies for dry scalp fail to work. Below, discover some natural solutions for dry scalp that are easy to use.
5 Dry Scalp Home Remedies
1. Tea tree oil: This makes a perfect itchy scalp home remedy due to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. The natural oils moisturizes and nourishes the scalp. This helps fight dryness, itchiness, and flakiness. Before using tee tree oil as a remedy for dry scalp dilute it first with some water then apply. You can also dilute a few drops of tea tree oil with one table spoon of vegetable oil and massage directly into the scalp to make a different itchy scalp home remedy.
2. Apple cider vinegar (ACV): Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory characteristics that kills the yeast and bacteria responsible for causing an itchy scalp. It also balances the pH values of the scalp which clears dryness and itchiness of the scalp. To make this home remedy for dry scalp mix some apple cider vinegar with some water and pour into a spraying bottle. Spray your hair and scalp generously and cover with a towel for about 15 minutes then rinse off. The ACV also helps to balance the pH levels of the scalp thus relieving dryness and itchiness.
3. Lemon juice: This is another example of dry scalp home remedies that are effective. Lemon juice has antiseptic characteristics and contains vitamin C which aids in treating a dry and itchy scalp. The freshly squeezed lemon juice should be applied directly onto the scalp then rinsed off. This natural treatment for dry scalp should, however, not be used if the skin is broken. You can also mix lemon juice with honey to make an additional itchy scalp home remedy.
4. Sesame seed oil: This is another type among all the dry scalp home remedies that a person can use. Sesame oil helps a lot in relieving itchiness and dryness of the scalp. To use this home remedy to treat dry scalp, you need to first warm the oil then massage it directly into the scalp every night before going to bed. For good results massage for about 10 minutes,wrap your head in a hot towel and then go to bed. Rinse off in the morning. This homemade treatment for dry scalp should be continued for a significant amount of time.
5. Coconut oil: This is by far the most commonly used home remedy for dry scalp. It is also by far the most trusted homemade solution for dry scalp. It works to restore natural moisture of the scalp and reduces chances of the scalp getting dry. For this natural remedy for dry scalp to work the hair and scalp have to be clean. Rub a few drops of coconut oil on the scalp and let it sit for about half an hour then shampoo the hair. Doing this at least three times a week will guarantee you the best results.
More on Dry Scalp Home Remedies
There are many dry scalp home remedies that one can use apart from those discussed above. Some other home remedies for dry scalp that you can use are olive oil, jojoba oil, baking soda, aloe vera, olive oil, mayonnaise and broccoli puree, and bananas. Some of these dry scalp home remedies may sound hilarious but they are quite effective. To have a scalp that is well moisturized and free from itchiness, use these natural treatments and see what happens as you settle on a home remedy for dry scalp that works best for you.